Wednesday, February 4, 2009


When I finished reading Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper" many thoughts were going through my head. Initially though, I was very disturbed by the narrator and her obsession with the yellow wallpaper. How could someones entire life be controlled by something so simple as wallpaper? Her every minute and thought was centralized around the wallpaper and its hideous pattern. As the story progresses, Gilman begins to personify the paper and she even envisions a woman trapped behind the paper. With additional reading, I attained a better grasp of what was going on with Gilman herself as well as the historical context in which Gilman was subject to while writing this work. Historically women, as a whole, were still considered to be inferior. I saw this shown by the secrecy of the narrators writing as well as how she was totally controlled by her husband. When I learned about the severe nervous condition that Gilman was suffering, I began to think that the troubled narrator is a reflection of Gilman herself. Is this really a piece of fiction, or is this a medium in which Gilman could share her story? By the end of the text, I really felt that the feelings the narrator struggles with are also fears of Gilman.


No comments:

Post a Comment