Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Manipulation

Doesn't it just make you cringe when you (as an audience or a reader) can see the horrors that are going on while the characters are completely oblivious as to how they are being manipulated? If someone was observing my facial expressions while I was reading Othello, I am sure they would have had a good laugh! Each time Iago so smoothly used his words to set up his whole master plan, my hatred grew for his character. Iago created mass amounts of suspicion and havoc to almost everyone he came in contact with. This was not the first time I had similar feeling for a character, and I am sure it will not be my last. Let's take for example the character of Galinda in Wicked, this "sweet, innocent girl" manipulates those around her in an attempt to land the man of her dreams. In my mythology course last semester, I read Medea by Euripides. The character of Medea had similar devious manorisms as Iago. Both took total advantage of those around them in an attempt to attain personal satisfaction. For Medea that personal satisfaction was revenge and Iago longed for revenge but also to move up in the rankings. How can someone be so selfish to literally destroy and end the lives of those they are trying to get "one up on?" Medea ends up fleeing in a chariot with her dead children and no place to call "home," all with a smile and no glimpse of remorse. As Iago is taken away in Act 5 to become a tortured slave, he too shows no sign of remorse... how is this possible? Euripides, Winnie Holzman, and Shakespeare do a wonderful job of evolving characters with a good "reputation" to be villains and manipulators!
Here are the facial expressions of boldface, backstabbing, liars.... would you fall for their games?


Galinda, Iago, Medea

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I have to say that that picture of Iago is, like, the epitome of villainism. He just looks sneaky and evil. I totally agree with you that it can be SO frustrating as a reader/audience member to see characters being yanked around and manipulated by the "bad guy." I am definitely one of those annoying people who sit in movie theaters and talk to the screen. Ever see the Lord of the Rings movies? My best friend and I kept telling Frodo to turn around when that huge spider was behind him. This guy sitting next to us seemed annoyed at first, but a couple minutes later and we heard him mutter "Frodo, you really need to turn around." Lol!

    Great comparisons between Iago and other literary villains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This also makes me think about how literature gives us so many examples of this kind of character/person. Hmmm....an interesting fascination, no? Sam's comment also made me think about how contemporary film plays off of the same audience/fiction dynamic--the fact that you know so much more and have no power to affect change in the fiction itself.

    ReplyDelete